Sunday, November 6, 2011

Contrast Exam Essay

                The debate went on for a good twenty minutes, from one person to another; not one person could agree.  The options really seemed endless and way too hard to choose on this particular day.  Each person was able to come up with their own idea, with very little agreement.  It looked like it could have been a very long afternoon.  My stomach growled and I thought that we would never decide on where to get lunch.  Would we be going to McDonalds or Burger King?  The concept is the same but, the differences are endless.  In the end, I throw my trash away in disappointment; there was such a work up for a meal that left me still feeling hungry and unsatisfied.
                The first major contrast in the two places would definitely have to be the French fries.  I think that the argument over who has the better fried potato wedge has been one of the biggest debates of the century.  I personally prefer Burger Kings fry over McDonalds.  Burger King fries have a crunchier outer shell and seem to be larger than McDonald’s fries; not to mention, hotter.  McDonalds just seem to be thinly cut, soft and always cold.  Besides, McDonalds does not give you the option of onion rings if you want to roll the dice and live a little bit!
                Burger King burgers are a million times better than McDonalds any day.  Take the Whopper for instance; it always has a freshly grilled taste and is complete with fresh vegetables such as lettuce tomato and lettuce.  The Big Mac at McDonalds tastes like it has been sitting in a pile of grease and under a heat lamp since the company was opened in 1940!  What is up with the secret sauce anyway?  At least come up with something other than Thousand Island dressing Ronald!  Did I mention the size of the burgers?  I am convinced that McDonalds has made up their own measurement system when weighing out their portions; quarter pounders are more like quarter ouncers!  I have never been upset with Burger Kings portion sizes.
                The last difference that I would like to point out is that Burger King food is made fresh to order and therefore, is always hot and fresh.  McDonald’s food will sit under the warmers for hours on end and soak in a pile of grease until someone finally gets around to putting it in an order.  I have never received a cold bag of food from Burger King but, will always seem to get a cold burger or fries from McDonalds.  The only thing that McDonalds has going for them is the McRib, and that is only once a year!
                I am sure that this makes me sound like I am a huge fast food eater but in reality, I am not.  I am actually sitting here awaiting that King character from the commercials to walk in the door with a giant check for my advertising and promoting of their brand.  At the end of the day, I will always choose Burger King over McDonalds if possible.  Sadly enough, my partner for the day won and we stopped at McDonalds for lunch.  I now know why I am throwing away my trash with an unsatisfied feeling and upset with my choice for lunch.


1 comment:

  1. It's hard to use a mass consumable for an essay because they don't lend themselves to easy personalization. Millions of people use the product and the company goes far out of its way to insure that everyone will have pretty much the same reaction to its offerings. That's the difference between Micky D and Joe's Diner.

    That said, your voice is here, a little quirky, a little cranky, a little amusing; the organization is strong and clear. Glad to take it.

    ReplyDelete