Sunday, November 27, 2011

Effect Essay #8

We never really expected to find her that day; we really only planned on getting a few odds and ends from the store.  Who could just walk by and not look at the piles of fur in the little cages anyway?  All rescued and in need of a good home; all with some story to tell on how and where they were found.  She was found in an abandoned house with her mother and siblings, only a few weeks old at the time.  As she lay there in the temporary cage that was set up by the rescue agency, she looks so pathetic.  Her big brown eyes could melt even the coldest of hearts; we knew right then that she was the one.  We ended up getting more than some bread that day; we ended up getting a new member of our family.  We are not sure as to what breed of dog Zoey is but, we do know that she has added so much to our family in character, entertainment and love.

                Zoey has added a new sort of character to our home.  We ensure that she goes with us wherever we go if possible.  Family and friends always are inquiring on how she is doing.  I can always count on Zoey meeting me at the door when I get home; her tail wagging and her body in a tremor of excitement.  I know that she will always fall asleep next to my side of the bed and will eventually decide to move into her bed when she is sure that Mom and Dad are safe and asleep.  On a hot summer day, I know that I can always find her either sunbathing in the yard or stretched out on the kitchen floor, enjoying the cold tiles on her stomach.  She is more than a dog; she is a member of our family.

                At five years old, Zoey still has the energy of a puppy.  Hours can be spent walking her in the yard or throwing a ball for her to fetch.  Good luck getting away from her if she brings you the tug rope.  I can always expect her to talk to me, using random noises that make sense only to her when she is excited and happy. She is the type of dog that always keeps you wondering on what she is going to do next.  I enjoy time spent with her; she is a true example of an animal being man’s best friend.  I have never owned a dog with such an entertaining personality.  Her antics are crazy, she is always great fun and she is more than just a dog; she is a member of our family.

                I am constantly amazed that the love and genuine concern that she always shows to us.  If you are sick, she will refuse to leave your side; your every move is carefully monitored by her watchful eye to ensure that you are doing well.  A bad day never seems so bad when she always seems to know that a hug is in order.  A head placed gently on your knee and a stare from her dark brown eyes can always brighten your day.  I was concerned about Zoey being jealous of Collin when we brought him home but she has been surprisingly attentive to the new addition to our family.  He cries and she is the first one to his side; she can often be seen taking a peek at him, just to make sure that he is doing well.  The love that she shows to me, even after she has received a scolding only proves that she is more than just a dog; she is family.

                I can understand why people say that dog owners tend to live a longer life.  Zoey has been an amazing friend to both me and my wife.  My wife often tells me that Zoey is what kept her sane while I was in Iraq.  I am not sure what would have happened if we had not decided to go to the store that day.  I do believe that she was meant to be our dog, that we needed her as much as she needed us.  There is no doubt in my mind that an animal can love, that they can change the lives of those that own them.  I am thankful that we were able to rescue her that day five years ago. I encourage anyone that is looking for a pet, to visit the local pounds and rescue agencies; these animals will truly show their gratitude to you for helping them.   I truly love that dog because of the fact that she is more than a dog; she is family




1 comment:

  1. I'm always a sucker for a dog story and this is a good one--three very clear effects or results of that trip to the store; controlled grafs with that nice repeated close in the three support grafs. Glad to take it.

    ReplyDelete