Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Graf 11A

At 32 years old, I feel that I have had to make quite a few major decisions in my life; most of which have had a substantial impact on me in one way or another.  Most decisions that I have made have come easily though.  When I met my wife, I did not have to think about whether not she was “the one.”  There was no question in my mind about if I wanted a child or not.  Most decisions seem to come naturally to me, requiring little thought or research.  I believe that God sends us in the direction that He wants us to go; we just need to listen.
                The biggest decision that I had to make was when I was getting ready to graduate high school.  Did I go to college right away and possibly party away a ton of money?  Did I even know what I wanted to be at such a young age?  If so, what school would fit my interests?  Do I even want to go to college, or join the military? If I joined the military, what branch?  All these questions seemed to torment me for months.  All these questions deserved research.
                In the end, I decided to join the United States Marine Corps.  I researched the branches by speaking to what seemed like a million different recruiters.  While all the branches seemed to offer the same tangible things such as education, jobs and benefits; The Marines seemed different.  It was the intangibles that sold me.  The Marine recruiter carried himself differently than the others; he had a certain swagger that made him stand out from the others.  Through Sergeant Rios I learned that I could join the military, grow up and then go to school. 
                I served nine years in the Corps; growing and learning a lot about the world an myself.  I learned that I could grow, serve my country and go to school when I got out.  That’s what I am doing now.  Through research, I have also decided that I want to continue my education in the medical field and plan on applying to the nursing program here at EMCC this fall. 

1 comment:

  1. You might like 'Matterhorn,' a novel about Marines in combat in Vietnam.

    This material certainly satisfies graf 11, and you might be able to use it, recycle it, when we come to process essays later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete