Sunday, September 25, 2011

Motivation for Isearch

                As an Emergency Medical Technician, I have been on many calls where the patient is suffering from some sort of diabetic emergency.  These patients may have too much sugar in their system or not enough.  Either way, this is possibly a life threatening condition for them.  I have often wondered about what causes a person to become diabetic.  What is happening inside the body of a diabetic that is different than someone who is not?  As an EMS provider, how can I help these patients to better understand and manage this condition?
                Recently, this condition has gone from being a part of my weekend and evening job to becoming personal when both my Grandmothers were diagnosed with diabetes.  Diabetes became a personal and I became even more determined to find out more about it when I heard the news.  So, that is my motivation for researching diabetes; my Grandmothers are my drive.  These are the questions that I hope to answer:

1)      What causes diabetes in a human?
2)      Besides insulin; what is the best way to manage diabetes?
a.     What consists of a diabetic diet?
b.      Does weight play a major role in diabetes?
3)       Are there any other medical conditions that are directly related to diabetes?
      4)      Is diabetes hereditary?
             a.       If so, how can I lessen my odds of becoming diabetic?
             b.      How can I lessen my sons’ chance of becoming diabetic?

2 comments:

  1. To me, questions 1/2/ and maybe 3 are just old-fashioned research. Five minutes with google will answer those for you. What will make this an isearch is linking the material you find to your personal concerns over your relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that I am just having a hard time distinguising between Isearch and research. I would like to meet with you in person to maybe discuss this a little further for clarification.

    ReplyDelete