Sunday, October 2, 2011

Background

            Picture it…Bath, Maine…August 3rd, 1979; a baby is heard crying throughout the maternity ward.  I enter this world at 4:30 pm at eight pounds and twenty-two inches long; my mother weeps in joy as I am placed on her chest and fall contently back to sleep.  Yup, my first experience with child birth was my own; what a long day that was!  Since then, I have seen friends and relatives bring bundles of pooping and peeing joy into this world; Every kid with a personality of his/her own and every kid with a different story to tell.  I would like to say that I am real good with children.  I hold them, they poop and I give them back to their parents!  I hold them, they cry and I give them back to their parents!  They come to visit, I get a headache and they go back to their parents!  I “thought” that I had this kid care thing all figured out.  Nine months ago that all changed.  I can no longer give the screaming, pooping child back to his parents; I am the parent.  I am told that I was an evenly tempered baby; I didn’t cry a whole lot and slept through the night earlier than my brother did.  Can I get that lucky?  I don’t have the experience with children that some have when becoming parents.  I am thankful that my wife had watched her young cousins for most of their infant lives.  I am so glad that she knows what to do.  Everyone tries to pass on their own nuggets of wisdom as to what it takes to be a father; everyone tells you exactly what to expect.  I wish it was that simple!  My background is that I was a baby and have known some babies in my life.  I am a novice parent, a beginner to say the least.  My wife and I will find for ourselves what it takes to be parents.  I will find for myself what works to combat sleep deprivation, colic and the other challenges of parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. This really is very nicely done--short and sweet, a fine intro. You ought to break it into shorter paragraphs though.

    Do you want to add anything about you and sleep, you and diapers, you and taking care of little things (pets even)?

    ReplyDelete