Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cause Essay

            I stare at my laptop screen as the cursor blinks in almost excited anticipation to do its job; nothing happens. My mind wanders off in a million different directions, unable to concentrate on the task at hand. How did I allow myself to get into this situation? I feel a bit of nausea building in my stomach and my heart begins to pump faster. I am so far behind in my English 101 work that it is making me sick from stress. I think about it more and understand why I am where I am!
I can remember her telling me that she was pregnant; many things flashed through my head at the time.  I just figured that I have plenty of time to do what needs to be done.  At first, that was really the case; it changed has the time for her to deliver our son grew near though.  Soon, my time was spent on preparing his nursery, folding small clothes and allowing my mind to drift off in daydreams about what he would be like and school work just seemed to not happen.  This daydreaming and lack of concentration quickly pushed me into an ever growing pile of backed up English 101 work.  How was I ever going to catch up? 
I can still hear her warning me when I accepted the positions.  “I am worried that having too many jobs will interfere with your school work” she said.  With a quick roll of my eyes I replied with a simple “Don’t worry about me, I’ve got this!”  I was already working as the Assistant Manager at our wonderful campus bookstore when I was offered the other jobs; it wasn’t like I needed to accept them.  I had actually applied to both jobs around the same time; well before I was offered my current position.  These were the jobs that I really wanted to do and I would be crazy if I declined the offers.  Emergency medicine is what I dream of and I suddenly had offers to work for two ambulance companies.  To say the least, I was excited!  I started to work per diem shifts on weekends for one service and was hired as an on-call EMT for the other.  All that I needed was enough calls to be “cleared” off the preceptor program and hired as a full time employee so that I could ditch the store gig.  I started in with all three jobs, fully intending to keep strong in school also; I am wondering if my wife may have been right.  I take my laptop to work on the weekend with full intent of getting caught up, only to spend the whole day on calls.  I take my laptop out at home, only to hear my pager go off for an emergency somewhere in town.  Keep in mind; I am attempting to do this after I have worked a full day already or a full week.  How am I ever going to catch up?
To keep up with a theme, I will go back to my wife warning me not to do something; and me not listening!  She had told me that it would be a very hard fall semester if I took too many classes.  She had reminded me that our son would soon be born and that I already worked three separate jobs.  “I am worried that your grades will slip; maybe only a few classes this semester” she had warned.  Again, I rolled my eyes and responded with a simple, “Don’t worry, I can do this!”  When will I learn that wives can sometimes be right?  I decided to take as many courses that my free time would possibly allow.  Besides, it would take me a million years to graduate if I only took one or two courses per semester.  This was simple enough reasoning for me to an almost full-time course load.  What is an extra on-line English class anyway?  If I had only known what I was getting myself into by signing up for that extra course, things may not be at the point that they are today.  I already had way too many things going on in my life and probably could have held off on signing up for that last minute English 101 class.  How am I ever going to catch up?
           In a nutshell; I am a nutshell right now! I guess that I should have listened to my wife when she tried to warn me that I was taking on too much at once. I have a million and one things happening in my life that I am having a hard time concentrating on school work.  I am told that all hard work will eventually pay off in the long run; I sure hope so. Three jobs, an almost full course load and a newborn about to bless my home have kept me busier than I would like.  There are not enough hours in the day or enough of me to go around. It helps to take a minute to step back and re-evaluate what is going on. It doesn’t really help to realize that things will only get harder before they get easier though. My son is almost here and it appears that I will never get any sleep, I have way too many jobs and there are not enough hours in the day to do what needs to be done. My life is hectic and crazy as can be. However, this is my life and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

1 comment:

  1. Whew, done! I'll take it--it's a little loose, not quite tight with a plan of development in the opening graf but the support grafs are fine on detail and I like that repeated, 'How am I ever going to catch up?'

    And now...ta da! Off to classification essays!

    ReplyDelete