Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cause 3

         I can still hear her warning me when I accepted the positions.  “I am worried that having too many jobs will interfere with your school work” she said.  With a quick roll of my eyes I replied with a simple “Don’t worry about me, I’ve got this!”  I was already working as the Assistant Manager at our wonderful campus bookstore when I was offered the other jobs; it wasn’t like I needed to accept them.  I had actually applied to both jobs around the same time; well before I was offered my current position.  These were the jobs that I really wanted to do and I would be crazy if I declined the offers.  Emergency medicine is what I dream of and I suddenly had offers to work for two ambulance companies.  To say the least, I was excited!  I started to work per diem shifts on weekends for one service and was hired as an on-call EMT for the other.  All that I needed was enough calls to be “cleared” off the preceptor program and hired as a full time employee so that I could ditch the store gig.  I started in with all three jobs, fully intending to keep strong in school also; I am wondering if my wife may have been right.  I take my laptop to work on the weekend with full intent of getting caught up, only to spend the whole day on calls.  I take my laptop out at home, only to hear my pager go off for an emergency somewhere in town.  Keep in mind; I am attempting to do this after I have worked a full day already or a full week.  How am I ever going to catch up?

1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh.....Late nights with no sleep in Daddy Land has my head all crazy...posted the same one twice.

    ReplyDelete